Saturday, July 29, 2006

A Strange Love Indeed

This is not written for my benefit. This is not written to show off my literary skills. This is not written for my own viewing pleasure.

This is written at one a.m. in the morning with a lump in my throat. This is written out of a sense of awe and wonder, and of immense respect.

This, in brief, is written after viewing one of the most spectacular and perfect endings of one of the most brilliant films ever made.

I doff my miniscule hat to the huge intellects that were a part of this wonderful feature. To Stanley Kubrick, maverick director, auteur, genius filmmaker; to Peter Sellers, brilliant actor – maybe the most versatile actor ever; to Hollywood, I doff my hat. I salute you all, you who did this.

The clouds mushroom over a destroyed earth, as Dr. Strangelove plans to survive underground, ‘breeding prodigiously’ for a hundred years. And the beautiful voice of Vera Lynn hauntingly assures us that

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.
Keep smiling through, just like you always do,
’Til the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away.

So will you please say hello to the folks that I know,
Tell them I won't be long.
They'll be happy to know that as you saw me go,
I was singing this song.

After the rain comes the rainbow,
You'll see the rain go, never fear,
We two can wait for tomorrow,
Goodbye to sorrow, my dear.

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day…

Maybe we will, Vera. Maybe we will meet, Stanley and Peter, maybe we will meet again some sunny day. But till then, thank you.

K.

1 comment:

Arjun Sharma said...

And I join you in the doffing of the hat. Greater men than these are rarely found.