Saturday, January 06, 2007

This Day I Share With Ye

- A Supreme Indulgence, by K.

I am, on this day out of the plethora of others I have lived, immensely pleased. I have consulted authorities and found out things about the day of my birth, being the Fourteenth Day of June.

Just the day, not the year.

The things I have found out, about the events that occurred, and the people who share this day with me, I hope, will be harbingers – of essentially good fortune.

It is considered lucky if someone great has been born on one’s birthday, for the reason that the same set of circumstances that made them great, might work for you, as well – since you fall under the same stellar and astronomical signs.

Similarly, it is also considered decently good luck if a great man passed on, on your birthday, for some essence of his greatness may bow be embodied to you, since that person no longer has use for it. Consider that Stephen Hawking, probably the greatest post-Einsteinian physicist, was born on the day that Galileo Galilei shuffled off, so to speak, his mortal coil.

These are the people that share my birthday in one or other way:

Alois Alzheimer.

Karl Landsteiner – Discovered Blood Groups – a great man to anyone who has studied Biology.

Che Guevara – Indeed, I don’t know how to take this. But it’s a fact.

John Logie Baird – He gave us the TV. Great man.

King Diamond – I LOVE MERCYFUL FATE!!!!!!!!!!

Boy George – Boy!! My Karma Chameleon must have been Iridiscent!!!!

Yasmine Bleeth – YAY!!!!! I am louing it!!!!

Steffi Graf – DITTO!!!!

And many of my favourite authors share this day:

Harry Turtledove – One of my favourite SF authors.
Alan Jay Lerner - He gave us My Fair Lady. I need say no more.

Yasunari Kawabata – Japanese Nobel Prize winning author of The Master of Go and The Sound of the Mountain

Jorge Luis Borges – Love this guy, even if he had written NOTHING other than THE LIBRARY OF BABEL.

Jerome K. Jerome – SHARMA!!! NODI!!!

G. K. Chesterton – Now for this I must feel immensely proud, for whether it is my favourite detective Dr. Fell (Based on Chesterton), one of my favourite actors, Alec Guinness (played Father Brown in the only movie made of that series), one of my favourite books (The Man Who Was Thursday) or my writing (I write a little of mystery, in which my main inspirations remain Van Dine, Carr and GKC)….
Roger Zelazny – Again, I am bless’d for this connection: Zelazny is one of the true SF authors I admire, and his Lord of Light remains a great influence.


ALSO:

Superman debuted on June 14th, but so did the Boston Strangler.

Paris falls to the Germans, and Hawaii is accepted by the US.

Bonaparte wins at Marengo, and America accepts the STARS AND STRIPES as its Flag.

The world’s first BOURBON was, it is said, made on this day, and named after the place at which the Rev. Elijah Craig (reportedly) distilled it. The sailors on board the Battleship Potemkin revolted, unaware of this sublime fact.

We are first introduced to PHILO VANCE on June 14th, in THE BENSON MURDER CASE.

I, for now, rest my case.

K.

3 comments:

Monolith... said...

Jobless you are.

Anonymous said...

[Monolith] - With all due respect to your supramundane cerebral hemispheres, dost thout think(est?) that a blog is for those persons with a lot to do in life????

Besides, this was a much needed moral boost, for me, what with my exams on and all.... :-)

The Wannabe Writer said...

Normal people just use the Orkut method to remind people of their birthdays...but apparently random tandem is inclined to scale new heights of wierdness. I LIKE EET!!!

V