Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Travel- By V

Travel, writing and reading constitute my major passions. Discovering that it was indeed possible to fulfill all three at one time was one of my greatest discoveries. Making plans impulsively, going to the nearest bus depot, seeing which destination looks exotic enough, often settling for destinations whose names I couldn't pronounce-these thrills are almost unmatched.

Travelling by local transport gives glimpses and insights into local lives and allows you to experience the legendary local flavor. Be it travelling by a rickety bus wheezing and groaning it's way up a hill from Solapur to Thuljapur, or taking the ferry across Goa and hearing Konkani folk music and smellling the aroma of freshly caught fish on the way to the market may not sound appealing to most, but at that time, they are the best feelings and scents ever. If you travel by local transport as opposed to high-end Volvo buses, you meet all different avataars of people ranging from the Indian cyclops (the tourist with the camera permanently attached to his face) to the local know-it-alls and the occasional cool older person who shares his smokes with others.

Things I love about travelling range from making friends with complete strangers , joining a spontaneous game of antakshaari where melody and tune really don't matter, meeting the occasionally unaccompanied pretty woman.....AHHHH!!! Good times!!

My most memorable journeys include a 30 hour bus ride from Mumbai to Bangalore in a bus that had more cargo than passengers, a solitary trup to Lonavala which served as the starting point for a trek, and a monsoon visit to Goa at the age of 17. The last mentioned was my first impulsive journey and hence, will remain my most cherished memory.

I know I ramble a lot about being lonely and how much it bugs me. But travelling alone afforded me a freedom that all the solitude wouldn't even match. The freedom to do whatever I want without having to submit to another's wish, the freedom to stay in the cheapest hotel and not care as long as I had a bed to rest my head and a roof to keep the rains out. Lovely!!

I miss travelling. But soon, I shall have some more free time on my hands. Perhaps I sahll be able to bring my haversack down from it's dusty perch, don my travel cargoes, head towards the bus depot and then go in whichever direction my feet might lead me.

Perhaps there is time for some more adventure.

And so

Onwards
V

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've just inspired me to pack my bags. adios, amigo! very pleasantly put!

Anonymous said...

There's no company like your own, is there? Every wonderful adventure has begun with me alone.

I wish I weren't female sometimes. Or that I were a little braver, and bolder, and brawnier. :)

Anonymous said...

And it is rae!

tangled said...

Er, and in case you were wondering, this is me also :)

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you agree, tangled..

The Wannabe Writer said...

this is v

who is still quite confused

Monolith... said...

You finally blogged it. Took you long enough!!

the stygian sailor said...

maccha you planning to go on a trip? as far as i know you ll have one quick trip back to mumbai... new year s away form bangalore ..damn sad!